By: Samuel Yeboah Adams - Kyzzfmonline
September 19, 2023
The 3rd International Coconut Festival in Ghana, scheduled to take place from September 26th to September 28th, 2023, at the Akroma Plaza Hotel in Takoradi, promises to be a significant event for the coconut industry in the Western Region. Here are some key points from Theophilus Siaw Asare's discussion on Kyzz FM 89.7MHz regarding the Coconut industry:
- Western Region as the Hub of Coconut Farming: The Western Region is recognized as a major hub for coconut farming in Ghana. The region, especially along the coast, has extensive coconut cultivation.
- Intervention and Disease Resistance: The Coconut industry in Ghana faced a significant challenge when Cape Saint Paul Wilt Disease affected coconut crops, leading to business losses for many farmers. However, a new disease-resistant coconut breed was introduced, helping to revive the industry.
- Value Chain Addition: Research has highlighted the valuable properties of coconuts, and Mr. Siaw Asare emphasized the potential for innovation and value addition to coconut-based products.
- Need for Investment: To fully realize the potential of the coconut industry, Mr. Siaw Asare stressed the importance of financial support from both investors and the government.
- The 3rd International Coconut Festival: This festival was introduced to promote the usefulness of coconuts, especially considering that countries like Indonesia and Canada, which don't produce coconuts in large quantities like Ghana, have also organized similar festivals.
- Significance of the Celebration: The festival promises to create opportunities for young people and farmers to network. It will feature exhibitions of coconut-derived products and cultural displays to promote the region and tourism.
- Important Dignitaries Expected: Several important dignitaries are expected to attend the festival, including the Minister for Food and Agriculture, Hon. Bryan Acheampong, the CEO of Tree Crop Development Authority, Hon. William Quaitoo, CEO of Ghana Export Promotion Authority (GEPA), Dr. Efua Asabea Asare, and the Western Regional Minister, Hon. Kwabena Okyere Darko.
The 3rd International Coconut Festival in Ghana seems like an exciting event that will not only celebrate the coconut industry but also provide opportunities for growth, innovation, and networking in the sector.